Each summer my family and friends collect new or gently used backpacks plus $25 donations to fill each backpack full of school supplies. We then provide fully stuffed backpacks to homeless/low income children through the Rebele Family Shelter, Walnut Avenue Women’s Shelter and Elm Street Mission.
Last year, through the generosity of many companies and individuals, we were able to pack and deliver 439 backpacks among these non-profits to ensure families in crisis throughout Santa Cruz County had school supplies for their children.
So if you find yourself with an extra gently used backpack, find a good deal to buy a backpack or receive one you don’t need from a tradeshow, please donate it to us!
Also, for those of you in marketing and events, if you have leftover giveaways like pens, pencils or other fun items we will gladly take them off your hands! Logo’d items are accepted.
How you can help:
1. Donate a gently used or new backpacks (Although we will use and accept red or blue backpacks, those colors are not preferred.)
2. $25 to fill a backpack full of school supplies (view list of contents)
3. $35 donation will purchase a backpack and the supplies to fill it
4. Donate items for inside the backpack, including key rings, pens, etc. (items with logos accepted)!
How to donate:
Drop off or mail a backpack and/or a monetary donation to:
P.O. Box 97
8 Madrone Avenue
Mount Hermon, CA 95041-0097
or look for our donation barrel at one of these locations:
- True Olive Connection in Santa Cruz, 106 Lincoln St.
- Deluxe Foods Of Aptos
- Felton Nails (Next to Safeway in Felton)
- Scotts Valley Market